Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rear Projection TV

About two weeks ago, I bought a 55" Philips rear projection TV (DPTV340) off Craigslist.  The idea here is that I can drop $100 bucks on an older TV but can't drop $900 on the projector I ultimately want to get for my basement.  The snow is flying and the kids are inside most of the time now.  This, along with the other games I've collected over the last few months, should keep us well entertained during the winter.

When I got the TV, there was a blue shadow around everything on the picture.  In addition, it was very dim.  A little research told me that this type of TV has coolant as an optical coupler between the CRT and projection lens.  Apparently, it's common for that coolant to get cloudy and need changed.  I went to a local electronics store and picked up some coolant for around $25 and went to work.  After cleaning everything up and changing the coolant, it looks like a new TV.  Not bad for $125...






The coolant should be completely clear.  You can see what the old coolant looked like from the green and blue lenses.  The red one was fairly clear.  In fact, I needed to reuse some of it.

After cleaning out the coolant area.  The white area is the face of the CRTs.






No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. I'll try to post them as soon as I can. Thanks!